MAB program is now open. Who is interesting to apply? please see the bellow if you are eligible.
Criteria for endorsement and selection of MAB Young Scientists Awards
- To be eligible, award applications must be made on the MAB Young Scientists Award application form (in English or French) and follow-up technical requirements stated there. The application must be endorsed by the applicant’s MAB National Committee*, which may endorse only two applications per year from applicants who are not older than 35 years of age (at the closing date of the application).
- Applications must contain concise information on past and existing research in areas concerned in order to present linkages and avoid duplications and financing of projects already carried-out.
- Priority is given to interdisciplinary projects carried out in biosphere reserves designated under the Man and the Biosphere Programme or potential biosphere reserves, and which contribute to the implementation of the Lima Action Plan (LAP) for Biosphere Reserves and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In this regard, applicants shall identify in their applications if and how their research contributes to the research-related actions of the LAP and to the SDGs.
- Applicants from developed countries are eligible for Awards only in exceptional cases or if working in joint partnership with developing countries.
- Awards are set at a maximum of US $5,000 each.
- Research supported by an Award should be completed within 2 years.
- Candidates must accept to submit reports of Award funded research to the MAB Secretariat in Paris and to their MAB National Committees*, and agree to the possibility of UNESCO publishing the results of their research.
- International travel expenditures are usually not covered under these Awards.
* For the countries in which a MAB National Committee does not exist or is not fully operational, the National Commission for UNESCO will ensure the selection of candidates according to the above criteria.
Payment Procedure for MAB AwardsAward payments are split into two instalments:
1st payment: Upon receipt and approval by UNESCO of two signed copies of the Letter of Agreement accompanied by a calendar of activities for the research study.
2nd payment: Upon receipt and approval by UNESCO of a final report (duly signed by the MAB National Committee) as well as a letter authorizing UNESCO to use the information from the report in UNESCO publications and on the UNESCO-MABnet.